Read an eBook Week!

I work at a library, and we often reference Chase's Calender of Events when figuring out displays that are relevant to the month. There are a lot of random holidays out there, but this particular one caught my eye: Read an eBook Week, Mar. 6-Mar.12.



It might not be a legit holiday, but I still thought it would be neat to share on the blog. As an avid reader, the argument of eBook vs. Physical book comes up on a regular basis. (I even had my own internal debate back in 2011, though I did eventually make a decision). It seems to have calmed down, which is a relief, but for a while it seemed like you were a traitor if you bought eBooks.

While I will never stop buying hardcovers and paperbacks, I am super thankful for my Kindle Paperwhite. To show my love for this "holiday" and my eReader, I thought I'd list the Pros of owning one!

  1. Hundreds of books in one thin space that you can bring anywhere. Especially perfect for the indecisive traveler! You don't need to narrow down your options or weight down your suitcase if you're not sure what you'll want to read on your journey or at your destination.
  2. Most eReaders are back-lit, which means you can read them well into the night without disturbing anyone!
  3. If you finish one book, you can order another one without moving from the seat (especially good if you're reading a book series).
  4. You can highlight passages or add notes without worrying about markers and pens bleeding through the pages.
  5. Any tablet or phone can become an eReader just by downloading your preferred app!
  6. So many libraries have eBook selections. All you need is your library card and you can borrow books, even if your local library is closed.
  7. The prices of eBooks fluctuate frequently. There are so many great newsletters you can follow. I can't remember the last time I spent more than $4 for an eBook, and that includes new releases and bestsellers!
The only con I can think of? Yes, there is always the possibility of the battery dying. With my Paperwhite, the battery lasts weeks, sometimes months. If you have a more tablet-y reader, you might deal with this more. My suggestion: Get a case with a pocket to hold your charger (which is usually just a USB cord). Easy-peasy.


I will never stop buying physical books - I can't imagine my life without stacks of books and shelves filled to the corners. But I'm thankful for the eReader, because it has only further expanded my love of reading and helped my ability to read more.


Comments

  1. I will always love physical books. That being said, I think eBooks are very beneficial to traveling. You know how much I used to travel from CA to PA and back, and if I was in the middle of a large book, I would have either the struggle of lugging it along, or the struggle of having to pause midway through to read something smaller. Obviously I still don't have one, but that would be a big reason if I were to get one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment