Review: Dangerous Girls - Abigail Haas

This is a review of the YA Thriller Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas. This book has been out for a few years now and seems to be a "cult classic" of sorts, one of those books that people really love but continues to stay under the radar.




Synopsis


It’s Spring Break of senior year. Anna, her boyfriend Tate, her best friend Elise, and a few other close friends are off to a debaucherous trip to Aruba that promises to be the time of their lives. But when Elise is found brutally murdered, Anna finds herself trapped in a country not her own, fighting against vile and contemptuous accusations. As Anna sets out to find her friend’s killer, she discovers harsh revelations about her friendships, the slippery nature of truth, and the ache of young love. Awaiting the judge’s decree, it becomes clear to Anna that everyone around her thinks she is not only guilty, but also dangerous. And when the whole story comes out, reality is more shocking than anyone could ever imagine... (From Goodreads)

Hesitant but Mesmerized

As you can see from the synopsis, this is a murder mystery/thriller. I struggle with anxiety and it's a huge part of how I choose what to read. Basically, I try to stay away from anything upsetting (and brutal murders are one of those things). Still, curiosity always gets the best of me. This book has excellent reviews from some trusted bloggers and is so cheap on Book Outlet. I bought it and figured I'd read it whenever I felt strong enough. When I grabbed it to see if it was what I was in the mood for, I immediately got the pit in my stomach, the ache in my chest. I was worried. And yet, 130 pages later, I couldn't stop. I started it on Thursday night around 8:30 PM and had it finished by 7:30 PM on Friday. I needed to know what happened, but I wanted it done quickly, like ripping off a band-aid. 


Whatever Happened to Predictability?*

The last thing I want in a thriller is a predictable outcome. It's one thing for the reader to come up with several theories, possibly leaning more towards one than the others, and predict the outcome. It's another to see the end from miles and miles away. This book did not disappoint in keeping me on my toes. I would come up with a theory and then new questions would pop up and I'd start to doubt myself. Haas did an excellent job with the storytelling and suspense and days later, I'm still theorizing and analyzing.

Overall

This is a YA Thriller and it was really interesting to see a genre that's usually presented to a more mature audience translated to YA. It also adds a haunting element to it. I found myself reading the last couple of pages of the book several times after finishing it and I won't soon forget it. This book gets 4/5 stars. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone in need of a thrilling and unsettling page-turner. 


Have you read this book? Do you think you'll pick it up?
Let me know your thoughts!



*I've been watching (and re-watching) Fuller House lately. I couldn't help myself. 

Comments