Review: Mud Vein - Tarryn Fisher


Synopsis

"When reclusive novelist Senna Richards wakes up on her thirty-third birthday, everything has changed. Caged behind an electrical fence, locked in a house in the middle of the snow, Senna is left to decode the clues to find out why she was taken. If she wants her freedom, she has to take a close look at her past. But, her past has a heartbeat... and her kidnapper is nowhere to be found. With her survival hanging by a thread, Senna soon realizes this is a game. A dangerous one. Only the truth can set her free." (Goodreads)

Unprepared

I've been feeling pretty slumpy lately. I discussed that in a recent post, but I was still having a hard time picking myself up. I'd start a book and then decide not to continue. I'd read a book and enjoy it (One, for example) and then have no idea what to read next for fear of disappointment. After yet another failed attempt at reading Cinder (will I ever read the Lunar Chronicles??), I randomly opened Mud Vein on my Kindle app and was pulled in by the strange, short sentences and the intense situation that our main character was in. I'll be honest, I was terrified of reading a book that might disturb me and really throw me off. What happened was something completely different and completely unexpected.

Defying Genres

I had heard about Tarryn Fisher because I am a huge Colleen Hoover fan. Not only are they dear friends, they also co-wrote a trilogy of novellas together. In following the idea that any friend/fave of CoHo is a fave of mine, I decided to give Fisher a shot. The thing is, she is nothing like by beloved Colleen Hoover. And. I. Love. That. Colleen Hoover writes New Adult Romance that is sad and funny and charming all at once. Tarryn Fisher's work, specifically Mud Vein, can't really be categorized. By reading the synopsis, you expect a thriller, something a little frightening and psychological. Plop it in the thriller genre if you'd like, but I don't think I can pinpoint any label on this sucker. 

The Writing

Fisher's writing is easy to slip into, which is important for any type of book but especially one that you're attempting to read with your slumpy brain. The first chapter has a lot of choppy sentences which might initially throw you off, but there is a purpose for that. The rest of it, though? Hey, TF, did you decide to find all the perfect phrases to destroy and renew my broken soul? I kinda think she did. 

An Experience

There was a point, early on in the book, where I felt a prickle behind my eyes. I get emotional over my books. I've felt that feeling before. Sometimes I cry, mostly it passes. I was moved by whatever I had read at the time, but I proceeded along just fine. And then. 
I actually woke my boyfriend up (unintentionally, I was trying to be quiet) because I was sobbing. Not a couple of tears trickling down my cheeks. Body-wracking sobs. The kind of crying that is often accompanied with embarrassing sounds you have no control over. This happened for a good couple of hours as I finished the book late into Sunday morning (finished at 3:30 AM with the puffiest eyes ever). This probably sounds terrible and I honestly felt like someone had broken my heart or picked out a piece of me that I didn't know about and shined a bright light on it. Truthfully, it was one of the best reading experiences of my life.

Not For Everyone

I really enjoyed...no...I LOVED this book. This book that had me crying well into the next day and that almost made me cry as I typed up this review. The book that's playing in my mind, the tune stuck in my head that is both beautiful and sad AF. It's a book I would unabashedly gush about (isn't that what I've been doing?) but then be terrified to recommend it to you. You very well might not like it. You might not get why I felt the way I did. You might be like "F*ck This!" and I completely understand.

Overall

5 Stars
The ultimate goal. I can't remember the last time I knew without a shadow of a doubt that a book would get 5 stars from me. I often come at it from all angles when reviewing (do I think it would universally be enjoyed, do I think the writing was perfect, etc.) but this time it was all about my personal experience. I actually started re-reading it the night after I finished (though I'm not sure I will continue, and I will definitely have a different, primary read.)
I am so glad that this book exists. I am so glad I gave it a chance. I am so glad. So so glad.

Comments