Book Review Speed Round: June Edition

I love writing book reviews, but life can get crazy and they get harder to write the further I get away from a book (I should really keep notes...). I still want to talk about the books I've read though, so I thought I'd do an occasional round up of quick reviews for books I read but didn't get a chance to write about sooner!


When it comes to picking audiobooks that both my boyfriend and I will enjoy on a trip, I tend to look for some good action or sci-fi. Last year, we listened to (and loved!) The Martian. This year, I decided on Sleeping Giants, a story about strange metal body parts being found underground and a nameless man who arranges a group of scientists and soldiers to find all the pieces and figure out where they came from and why they exist. The book is written in interview format and that actually made listening to this story a great experience (My personal favorite character was Kara!). It was recorded by a full cast, so each character had their own voice. I had tried to read the physical novel, but couldn't really get into it that way. It's not a perfect book (3 Stars), but it was full of action and suspense and a great pick for a long car ride! There is a sequel coming out next year, and Brad and I are both looking forward to listening to that one.



This is one of my TBR Tackle books, as I've had the book for about a year. I heard great things about it, including a 5 star review from a favorite reviewer of mine who is very stingy with her stars. The book is about a girl who has spent her life being on the outside, so she decides to make an effort to be popular. When that fails quickly, she attempts suicide...and becomes even more of an outcast. As she tries to figure out where she belongs, she stumbles upon an underground dance party and falls in love with DJing (and finds some friends). Some people argue that Elise is kind of hard to handle and I can totally see where that comes from. Because she doesn't really have friends and has been teased and neglected for most of her life, she has built up this defensive form of high self-esteem, something I think is common for teenagers. I'm pretty sure I did it, too. As everyone around me had their first kiss or relationship, I thought of myself as "smarter" because I was going to wait until I actually fell in love with someone (and there are plenty more of examples). For that portrayal, I give Sales many props. That being said, it was a 3 Star read for me.




I really intended to give this book its own review, but now that I've read a few books in between, I can't get into as much detail. I had a hard time getting into the book and I know why: this novel is 100% for fans of Sherlock Holmes. Okay, so that's probably like "Duh!" for you, but I guess I expected a little background info and I didn't. If you're a fan of the show or have read the books (I only read one, back in high school), the story should come easily to you. I was surprised that Charlotte Holmes had a serious drug addiction, but apparently Sherlock did/does, too (not a spoiler, they talk about that early on, also, if you know Sherlock, etc.). I liked solving the mystery along with them, which involved someone framing both Holmes and Watson by using plot devices from the old stories. It was a lot darker than I had expected but, again, I didn't know enough about the Sherlock world to expect it. I think there's potential for an even better sequel, but it was 3 Stars for me. 




Another TBR tackle, I was excited to read this sexy romance novel by author duo Christina Lauren. I had heard good things about their books and this one didn't disappoint in what I was looking for. Mia goes to Las Vegas with her two best friends to celebrate their college graduation. She meets a sexy French man named Ansel who brings her out of her shell physically and emotionally. Things get complicated, though, when Mia learns that she and Ansel have gotten married. Ansel invites Mia to Paris, definitely flying by the seat of his pants, instead of getting an annulment. Because she's living a life she doesn't really want, she decides to go for it. Lots of hot sex and awkward relationship stuff ensues. It was a fun, fluffy, steamy read and for that, it gets 4 Stars. I love Christina Lauren's sense of humor and they know how to write a hot scene without getting awkward or cringe-y. 

Hope you enjoyed this "speed round" of reviews! Click the titles for Goodreads info! 

  

 

Comments