Bookish Scene Recap - June

Time to share my Bookish Scene photos from June! I did a daily challenge for June on top of these prompts and I feel like that always holds me back from truly being creative.

 June 3rd - LGBTQ


June being Pride Month, it makes sense that the first prompt was LGBTQ. There's a lot I could've done with this, but I started to stress out with the possibilities. I ended up picking Carry On (it has one of my favorite LGBT couples!) and posed it in front of my rainbow shelves! Simple but I think it came out nicely. It's hard to get a good photo in front of my shelves (the lighting in our house sucks terribly and there's only a brief window of time with natural light), but it worked out!

June 10th - Poetry




Okay, I'm actually pretty pleased with this photo! I took it on a whim because I was going to be away for a few days during the prompt day. I don't read a ton of poetry, but I knew I wanted to showcase this book of Japanese Death Poems. I have a sort of silly story that goes along with this book: My boyfriend and I were perusing the shelves of Barnes & Noble. I can be found in the YA fiction, New Releases, or Romance sections. Brad, on the other hand, looks at pretty much everything: short stories, business stuff, cookbooks, and, hello, poetry! He showed this to me as I was looking at the description of a smutty book and I was like, "Why the heck would you want that? So morbid!" I opened it to a random page and I found the most beautiful poem. I understood right away and he ended up buying it.

The poem in question?

"Farewell - and though there be no budding in spring, no autumn withering - all is well."

The book has the poems in both Japanese and English and it also shares the name of the person who died and when and how old they were. Some of the poems are darker. Some make less sense. This one in particular had such hope and acceptance. 

June 17th - Aspirations


This is one of those photos I just threw together quickly and I'm not particularly fond of.
I think it's pretty obvious what I was trying to say with it, though. Like many readers, I would love to write a book one day. In fact, I wanted (and still could technically do)
Camp NaNoWriMo. Even if I just wrote the book for myself, it will feel good to get these ideas out of my head and onto some paper.

June 24th - Travel


I am so pleased with this photo. For starters, I used my DSLR to take the photo, which always makes a world of difference imho. Because I listened to the audiobook of Sleeping Giants, it felt like I wouldn't be able to showcase it in photos. Well, I found a way!
When it comes to long car rides, audiobooks are my preferred method of entertainment. Instead of switching through radio stations or getting bored with playlists, I can actually do some reading. It is the perfect solution!




It turns out that June wasn't so bad after all!
As always, you can check out these photos (and more!) on my Instagram: @MLVReads!

Comments