Review: The Loose Ends List - Carrie Firestone



Synopsis

"Seventeen-year-old Maddie O'Neill Levine lives a charmed life, and is primed to spend the perfect pre-college summer with her best friends and young-at-heart socialite grandmother (also Maddie's closest confidante), tying up high school loose ends. Maddie's plans change the instant Gram announces that she is terminally ill and has booked the family on a secret "death with dignity" cruise ship so that she can leave the world in her own unconventional way - and give the O'Neill clan an unforgettable summer of dreams-come-true in the process.

Soon, Maddie is on the trip of a lifetime with her over-the-top family. As they travel the globe, Maddie bonds with other passengers and falls for Enzo, who is processing his own grief. But despite the laughter, headiness of first love, and excitement of glamorous destinations, Maddie knows she is on the brink of losing Gram. She struggles to find the strength to say good-bye in a whirlwind summer shaped by love, loss, and the power of forgiveness." (Goodreads)
Great Expectations

I don't know if I would've known to read this book if it hadn't been for a glowing review from one of the toughest critics on Goodreads. Emily May is a tough cookie, but I recommend following her because she is nothing but honest about books and truly wants the best for the stories and the messages they want to send. Considering this is Firestone's debut, I was taking a chance on a new writer and a book that I hadn't heard or seen much about, not to mention the fact that I don't always agree with Emily May's reviews. I am so glad that I did. Books about illness and loss are not uncommon in the YA world, but how many of them are actually funny

A Very Common Fear

If you aren't afraid of death, I admire you. I try not to think about it very often or, if it comes up (it always does), I try to be very on-the-surface of it. If I get too deep, I get anxious. I mean, it's freakin' scary. The one comforting (kind of) thought is that we are all in it together. Reading about this topic, especially in the case of seeing through the eyes of a character surrounded by terminally ill people, can be anxiety-enducing. However, I really enjoyed the way everything was presented. I thought the topic was handled delicately, and our main character dealt with her fears and feelings in a very believable way. 

Is This Real Life?

The Wishwell Cruise sounds like a dream come true because it pretty much is. I don't know if anything like this would or could (or does?) ever exist, and you definitely need to have the funds to pay for it. Imagine a cruise on a big ship that caters to your needs and requests, whether you are a patient or a family member, no matter how silly they might seem. Example? One of the characters loves Christmas, so his cabin is decked out in holiday decorations, fresh cookies are served every morning, and carols are playing non-stop. That's pretty amazing. Everyone is traveling to wonderful, beautiful places, from Jamaica to Rome. It's like a fancier, bigger version of the Make-a-Wish Foundation. I think some people might think it's a little outlandish or impossible, but I also think it is pretty cool and it's easy to believe something like this might exist (and that there are people with the means to do it). 

The Bright Side

Astrid North O'Neill might be a grandmother with pancreatic cancer, but that doesn't make her any less spunky or silly. Talk about TMI! The humor in this book is crass at times, but I also found that to be realistic. Not every family feels the need to hide their feelings about sexuality or life or death or love, and that's the case with this family. Astrid is so full of life, even in her dying days, and she chooses to speak her mind, sharing the lessons she's learned (both profound and perverse) to steer her family in the right direction. I personally loved that. The free-thinking aspect really added to the message that we have one life to live and that we should live it to the fullest. Why not wear thong bathing suits with your grandmother, mom, and uncle?

Overall

4 Stars!

You guys, I adored this book. It was beautiful, funny, and sad to the point of waking up with puffy eyes the morning after reading it. (Yes, you should expect to cry.) It's a book I won't soon forget, and a part of me kind of wishes it would be made into a movie because I'd love to revisit the story (re-reading is hard when you have so many TBRs) and I think the characters and the settings would just be so wonderful to see on the big screen!

Comments