Review: Something New: Tales From a Makeshift Bride - Lucy Knisley


 Synopsis

"A funny and whip-smart new book about the institution of marriage in America told through the lens of her recent engagement and wedding…. The graphic novel tackles the all-too-common wedding issues that go along with being a modern woman: feminism, expectations, getting knocked over the head with gender stereotypes, family drama, and overall wedding chaos and confusion." (Goodreads)
 
 A "Right Place, Right Time" Read


I started following Lucy Knisley's work last year, when I powered through most of her autobiographical graphic novels. As soon as I heard about Something New, I was excited to read it. This one was the most relatable book I have read by her. I am 29 years old and have been in a relationship for over 6 years. I love my boyfriend and we talk about marriage pretty often. I absolutely love the idea of being bonded with him for the rest of my life, but the actual wedding ceremony stuff is something I only occasionally ponder. While I will admit that I have a secret wedding Pinterest board, it's not something I consistently add to or think about. In fact, the older I get/the more weddings I attend, the simpler I want my future wedding to be. I got to learn a lot about another girl who had never really imagined her wedding day. It was a great perspective to read.

Lucy's View

A true feminist knows that women can do whatever they want. While some people might frown upon societal norms and patriarchal expectations (such as marriage and babies), it is 100% fine to want to get married, to have a pretty wedding, to want children, etc. Lucy Knisley knows this, but she still struggled with the various traditions and rituals that come along with the marriage package. She watched the ads on her Facebook change the moment she marked her relationship status as "engaged". The pressure to get a beautiful bride body was everywhere, along with pressure to get expensive dresses and jewelry and beautifying procedures, while her now-husband saw no change in his online life.

What I enjoyed about Lucy touching on this conundrum is that it's a great reminder that you don't have to be the bride they expect you to be. She stressed while shopping for a dress at the fancy boutiques, getting less enthused by the moment and starting to feel a need to settle for a dress. When she finally went on her own, she was able to have her typical shopping experience: quick, easy, and less expensive! Despite wanting things that aren't commonly seen at weddings (a computer playlist instead of a band or DJ, a small guest list, etc.), she stuck with her gut.

Here's a personal example of why this was important to me: I noticed that pretty much all of my friends had long hair twisted into elaborate updos with braids and curls for their weddings. However, pretty much every single newlywed ended up chopping off a significant portion of their hair post-"special day". I, myself, have never really been a long-haired gal. Despite my elementary days (and a brief period in high school), I've almost always had some form of bob, lob, or even pixie cut. But, I knew that you needed the long hair for the updo. I started to grow my hair a little bit and, as always, grew frustrated with it. I had this realization, suddenly, that I didn't need to grow my hair. I could be a bride with my usual short hair; in fact, I'd actually look more like me. It's silly that I even had a moment of doubt, but weddings are portrayed in such a way, and it was good to know that I wasn't alone in feeling this way and that you can have a wonderful wedding without all the expectations. 

The Graphic Aspect

I really adore Knisley's illustrations. They are bright and colorful but never too complicated. They are easy to read and easy to follow. She pays attention to detail without going overboard or cluttering the page. I also feel that I still got a lot of story but in a fun and unexpected way that made for a quick read. 

Overall

4 Stars

I enjoyed Knisley's past work, but never found anything I could personally relate to (lots of traveling). This book isn't just a quick, colorful, funny read, but a great guide for women who see marriage in their future. Knisley talks about various traditions and how they started, how she planned her wedding on a pretty low budget, and what all of it meant to her. It served as a guide of sorts, in a really fun package. 

Comments