Finding Time to Read



I know a lot of people who enjoy reading but don't do it as often as they would like because they don't have the time. I totally understand that. 40 hours of your week is dedicated to work. Weekends are often times for errands, chores, and socializing. It seems the only time to sit down and read is before bed, but you're probably dozing off as soon as start the page. 

We all have our different priorities (even when it comes to our hobbies and downtime activities). One of mine happens to be reading, so I am always aware of where my book is and how much time I have available for reading. Still, I get easily distracted by silly iPhone games, binge-watching shows, and just plain malaise. Here are some tips that I've found helpful for finding the time to read!

1. Set a Timer
Have you ever heard the trick of setting a timer when you have to tackle a task you're been putting off (say, clearing out old files or sorting your closet for items to donate)? Basically, you pick a certain amount of time, as long or short as you want, and you do whatever it is you need to do. The gist is that when the timer is up, you're done! You've completed a good chunk of work and you can congratulate yourself on it. The cool thing about this trick, though, is that you have usually become motivated enough to continue the task to completion. I find that this could work just as easily with reading (and have done it myself!). When you have some spare time, set a timer for 15-20 minutes and pick up your book. Set aside any distractions (turn your phone on Airplane mode, go in a room without a TV, etc.) and just read. Remember that you don't have to read any longer than the time you've set for yourself. However, when that timer goes off, you might find yourself wanting to continue the story. This is especially great when you are bored but have no idea what to do with yourself. It's not meant to make reading seem like a chore, just a nice little boost to get you started!


2. Utilize Your Commute

I know some people actually debate this (no idea why), but audio books are books. While I prefer the experience of actually picking up a book and reading it myself, audio books can be extremely engaging. I'm slowly embracing them, because the narration truly can make or break a story, but a lot of them are fantastic. If you don't think audio books are taken seriously, there is actually an annual award ceremony for them! If money is your worry, audio books are available at pretty much all public libraries! You can take the discs out if you know you'll be driving. If you prefer a more mp3 vibe, a lot of libraries also have eBook and audio selections on apps like OverDrive or Axis360. You are literally listening to full books for free! If you are stuck on a wait list or want a bigger selection, you can get a membership with Audible. I know that music can be an awesome way to make the commute a little easier, but storytelling is just as wonderful. This is also great when you have a long trip ahead of you (like when I visit my sister, who lives 6-7 hrs away).

 3. Always Have a Book On Hand

I've had to learn the hard way that being stuck somewhere without a book truly sucks. If there's a book you're currently reading, make sure you always have it. Keep it in your purse/briefcase/messenger bag. Leave it in the car. Just always have it. It will help so much when you're stuck in the waiting room of a doctor's office for longer than you had thought or if you don't know how to change a flat tire so you're stuck in the Panera Bread parking lot because you just HAD to use that "free coffee every day for a month" deal and you accidentally ran over the curb driving into the shopping mall and then you're stuck waiting in the summer heat with nothing but your iced coffee and your dying iPhone, waiting for help (not that that happened to me...). 

4. Check out e-Reader Apps

This kind of goes with the above, but there's no denying that we always have our phones or tablets on us. I mean, come on! Whether or not you have a Kindle or Nook, each e-Reader has an app that stores your eBooks in the cloud that you will have access to wherever you are. I personally have a Kindle, so when I'm reading an eBook, I can go back and forth between my Kindle and my iPhone, syncing to the furthest page read. It's a magical thing. That being said, there's no need to go and buy an eReader if you don't want to. The apps are free, and you just buy books from the web and they appear in the cloud and ready to be downloaded to your device right away! You can sneak some reading in during a break at work or if you're in a long line at the bank.


5. Turn In Early


We could probably all use an earlier bedtime for the sake of our sanity but in this case, I'm simply suggesting you head to bed sooner than you usually would and make some time to read. My favorite time of the night is when my boyfriend Brad and I are both reading in bed. Instead of putting on one more episode of Seinfeld or hitting confirm when Netflix asks you "Are you still watching Parks and Recreation?", take that as a sign that you should maybe turn the TV off. If it's even an hour earlier than you usually go to bed, cool. You have an extra hour to read. And if you fall asleep, then you get a little extra sleep, which is also cool! This one is a win-win in my opinion. 




Even using just one of of these tips can really help carve the time you need to read.
Do you have any tips I haven't mentioned? 


I'd love to know if any of these work for you!



Comments

  1. I've personally done number 5! It definitely works, and I feel much better going to bed (because I haven't been in the living room for 3 hours playing games and watching Netflix). I don't always do it, but I am glad when I do. And I usually bring a book when I have a doctor appointment because that wait can be so long!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment