April Wrap Up!


30 days. Where the heck did they all go? To be fair, I got knocked out by a pretty icky head cold that drained me of all energy for a week. Though the weather definitely picked up, there are still plenty of gloomy and chilly days. I did have my first iced coffee drink of the year (Caramel Macchiato from Starbucks, if you must know, and it was FANTASTIC). Really hoping May is a bit steadier. It happens to be my "birthday month", so it has a special place in my heart. I always enjoy the month of May.

Books Read/Finished This Month
Roller Girl - Victoria Jamieson 
Alex and Ada Vol. 2 & Vol. 3 - Jonathan Luna & Sarah Vaughn
With This Heart - R.S. Grey
The Whitechapel Fiend and Nothing but Shadows (Tales From the Shadowhunter Academy #3 and #4) - Cassandra Clare, Maureen Johnson (#3), and Sarah Rees Brennan (#4)
One (UK Edition) -Sarah Crossan (Review)
Mud Vein - Tarryn Fisher (Review)
My Life Next Door - Huntley Fitzpatrick (Review)

My favorite book this month, hands down, was Mud Vein. Gah, I love that book so much (insert large number of heart & broken heart emojis here). I want to re-read it, but there are so many other books to be read. 

Out of the list above, only 4 are novels (and I started TLTSTW in March). It's been a pretty slumpy month for me. I picked up, half-heartedly started, and gave up on at least 3 books this past month. I'm hoping to kick this slump's ass in May.

Books I Bought This Month
NONE
I am super proud to say that I didn't buy a single physical book this month! I'm probably going to go ruin that at a used book sale this weekend, but this is pretty good for me. I was binge-buying a lot in the beginning of the year and I actually think it's done more harm than good for me. So, yay! But I will admit that I did buy some eBooks this month...

eBooks I Bought This Month
Shakespeare - Bill Bryson
Books 4 & 5 of Tales From the Shadowhunter Academy - Cassandra Clare, et al.
The Opportunist - Tarryn Fisher

Not that it's anyone's business how much I spend on books, but I spent less than $10 total on the books above! ATFFS was free, which was why I "bought" it. The others all cost $3 or less.

Challenge Updates
So, I took the leap and raised my Goodreads challenge to 100. I must be cRaZy! I figured it was a good idea, because I was already more than halfway done with 50 and I am planning on reading several more novellas, short stories, graphic novels, and comics, all of which are often quick reads that will add up. I'm terrified but I think it's worth it to see if I can make it!

Goodreads Challenge: 36/100
Book Riot Read Harder Challenge: 5/26

The Read Harder challenge could use a bit more of my focus. Luckily, I have most of the books planned out for each category. It's just a matter of reading them (and loosening up a bit about what can/can't qualify...I'm so weird when it comes to specific prompts).

Despite my slumpy, sick month, I still did a good amount of reading. I'm a couple of books ahead on my Goodreads, which always makes me feel good. I have some hurdles to smooth out (bookshelf organization, a possible purge, prolonging my buying ban, etc.) that I think will really help me in getting back into the groove. We will see what the new month brings us.

Here's to another great month of reading!

Comments