Book Review Speed Round: Feb. 2017

Time for a review round-up! These are the books I read but never got around to creating a post about (or there just wasn't enough there to talk about). You can always check out my Goodreads for more reviews (and I often post hidden spoilers!).


Thirteen Reasons Why - Jay Asher



I don't think it's wrong to say that this is one of those books that could be considered YA "canon". It's been ten years since it was first published and people are still reading it and talking about it and there's even a Netflix series coming out. Books about mental illness are important to me, and I hold them to a pretty high standard. This book is about a girl who has committed suicide and the story she has left behind for the 13 people who have all played a role leading to her death. This is extremely problematic to me. The things that happen to Hannah are rough and upsetting. I also know that the actions of others affects those around them and enough of these things can send someone over the edge. That being said, I couldn't shake the feeling of Hannah's death being used as revenge and it just rubbed me the wrong way. So many awful things happen but she doesn't set out to get teachers or authorities involved (or she refuses some of the help that is offered to her and is angered when people don't chase after her). This is an important story and I think many people will learn a lot from it (can't stress enough how much our actions and words can harm or heal others), but I know I'm not alone in my feelings. There will always be a divide in reviews and I understand both sides, but I can't shake the bad taste in my mouth.


Dreamology - Lucy Keating



After reading a few books that revolved around death, I thought it would be a good idea to break things up with a fun and fluffy read. To be honest, I keep forgetting I even read this book. It's not that it's bad. It's just very...average. The concept itself is unique and fun: A girl runs into the literal boy of her dreams when she starts a new school and starts to wonder how that's even possible. The world inside the book is colorful and fantastical in a really cute way because the lines between dreams and reality start to blur. Unfortunately, I felt like Keating added some additional drama just to lengthen the story. The conflict of why these dreams have been happening and how they are connected was enough of a story on its own.

 The Serpent King - Jeff Zentner



This book was everywhere last year. Rave reviews, awards and nominations, featured in a popular book box. I will admit that the title and my initial read of the synopsis put me off. I was so wrong. This book is wonderful. It's quiet and contemplative and heart-shattering and painful and hopeful and sad. Three friends are trying to survive their final year of high school while dealing with their own personal demons. Of the three friends, Lydia has the least to worry about. Her father makes good money, she has a successful blog, and she is heading for NYC. Dill and Travis, though, are the boys who can't shake their abusive and broken families and who can't imagine a life past their small town. They all compliment each other in different ways and are a strange but wonderful group of friends. There's a lot more to the story, but it's best to go in knowing very little and just letting it unfold. Clearly, I couldn't stay away from the angst for too long.

Sisters - Raina Telgemaier



This graphic novel is based on Raina's life. When she was younger, Raina desperately wanted a sister. When she finally got one, she was disappointed. As a baby, Amara couldn't actually play with her. As a toddler, she wasn't interested in anything Raina liked. Their relationship is filled with arguments and petty behavior. Despite this, Raina and Amara still look out for each other and we get to see that as they deal with a family reunion and the possibility of their parents getting a divorce. It was a pretty realistic interpretation of sisterhood. Not all bonds are fierce and protective. Some sisters just don't have the same interests. They can still love each other, though, and that's a sweet lesson to learn. 

Ghosts - Raina Telgemaier


Ghosts features the fiercely protective sibling bond that Sisters didn't. In this story, Catrina's family moves to a town in Northern California because her sister, Maya, has cystic fibrosis. Catrina is upset to have been taken away from her comfortable life but knows that this will be better for her sister's health. I adored this story, which takes place in a mystical town that has a strong presence of ghosts. Catrina tries to protect Maya from her curiosity of the ghosts, but Maya's illness doesn't keep her strength and determination down. This is another book that shouldn't be discussed much before reading. I just loved the the bonds between the families in the town and the paranormal aspects of it. Great, quick read!

A List of Cages - Robin Roe



To be honest, this book deserves its own dedicated review post. Unfortunately, I don't think it can be done without spoiling it and I'd hate to do that to anyone (keep your eyes peeled for a spoiler-filled review on Goodreads). ALoC is the story of the bond between Adam and Julian, who first met when Julian was placed in Adam's home as a foster child. Just as Julian needed Adam then, he seems to be at a point where he needs him now. Adam warmly welcomes Julian into his life  and appears to be the kind of guy Julian feels he could never be: open, honest, humorous, out-going. As Adam helps Julian open up, another force attempts to bring Julian down. This story is told from both Adam and Julian's perspectives and each voice felt unique to the character. I was stunned by a lot of what happened in this story...it is not an easy read. It is, however, a beautiful read that serves as a reminder of the strength we can receive from friends, family, and support groups. Highlight for TW: Child Abuse




Comments