Review Speed Round: August 2017


I feel like my reading has been at an all-time low lately. I'm going to blame my focus on my upcoming wedding (32 days!), which is pretty accurate. That said, I can also blame all the dumb games on my phone and naps and other distracting things that have kept me from picking up the books. I'm still doing well on my challenge, though, so I guess things aren't too bad. Anyway, time to share my thoughts on the books I did read with you!


Atheists Who Kneel and Pray - Tarryn Fisher


This is Fisher book #3 for me, and it is more proof that I need to pick up her earlier work. Though nothing has (or probably will) topped Mud Vein for me (I will love that book f.o.r.e.v.e.r.), there's no denying that Fisher has a way with words. Her writing is what makes the books so much more enjoyable. She's also not afraid to show the ugly side of her characters...actually, it's what she does best. This is a second-chance romance of sorts and it's beautifully written. 

What To Say Next - Julie Buxbaum


It's only been a month since I finished this, but I feel like I've forgotten so much about it. This book, about a budding friendship (or maybe more?) between a girl struggling with the sudden loss of her father and a boy on the autism spectrum, has some really great moments but ultimately didn't leave me thrilled. It's a dual narrative, taking turns between Kit and David. If I had my way, David would've narrated the whole thing. I truly loved his voice and being inside his mind. Kit's story is obviously compelling and sad, but David truly stole the show for me. Absolutely loved his character.

Sunny Side Up - Jennifer L. Holm


I didn't care for this book. The story takes place in the 70's and follows Sunny as she spends the summer in Florida with her grandfather, who lives in a community for the elderly and retired (not a fun place for a preteen). The story goes back and forth to explain why Sunny's original family vacation to Disney World was canceled, and the reason is a topic definitely worth talking about. I think some people might find comfort in Sunny's situation. Still, I felt like the story wasn't memorable. 

Everything All At Once - Katrina Leno


Looking back on this story, I think I really missed something along the way. I read it over the course of a week and, as previously mentioned, I've been distracted, so when the story went the way it did, I was more confused and disappointed than surprised and pleased. I don't usually need a week to read a book, especially not a contemporary, and I think that more reading in less time would've held the book together from me. Despite this, Lottie's fear of death and her anxiety are extremely relatable and well-written, and I give major kudos to Leno for that.

Paperweight - Meg Haston


At the beginning of the month, I watched the Netflix Original movie To the Bone, which is about a young woman struggling with an eating disorder. It's a rough topic, and plenty of people have taken issue with the movie (it's so hard to get this stuff done right), but I found myself curious about eating disorders after. I know so little about them and I started to look for books that discuss them. Paperweight was a perfect fit for me, as it follows Stevie on her journey to recovery at an inpatient facility (much like To the Bone). It deals with, of course, the serious situations surrounding eating disorders, but it also deals with a suicidal main character. Certainly not a lighthearted read, but I ultimately enjoyed it and will continue the search for more books on the subject. Speaking of...

Wintergirls - Laurie Halse Anderson


This book is not an easy read. Unlike Paperweight, where we at least see the main character surrounded by people who can help her, Wintergirls focuses on Lia, a girl who is spiraling further into her eating disorder. It starts with Lia finding out about the death of her former best friend, and we follow her as she pulls tricks to hide her true weight from her family, self-harms, and struggles in a deep darkness of self-hatred. It. Is. Tough. It's also beautifully and hauntingly written, driven by hallucinations, delusions, and Lia's intense downward spiral. There were times I felt sick while reading this, and I definitely needed a hug after, but it was well-worth the read. 

Trigger warnings for eating disorders, self-harm, and suicidal thoughts in both Wintergirls and Paperweight


Comments