Review: The Mistake - Elle Kennedy



The Mistake is the second book in The Off-Campus series by Elle Kennedy. I wrote about my love for the first, The Deal, in my steamy reads post. The series is about 4 college hockey players who live in a townhouse off-campus (hence the series name!) and their love lives. So far, 3 have been released. Each has been about a different roommate, so you can read them out of order if you'd like. That being said, there will be spoilers for the previous books in them (however, these are Happily Ever After or "HEA" books, so the ending can be presumed).

Synopsis

The Mistake is Logan's story. At the start of the book, he is frustrated over his feelings for his best friend's girlfriend. It's made things extremely uncomfortable at home, considering she's over often and he can hear them in the room next door. In a desperate attempt to stop these feelings, Logan has been partying hard and hooking up with lots of random girls. Of course, none of this is actually working. Things take a turn when he ends up knocking on the door of a random girl's (we know her as Grace, the other narrator of the story) dorm while looking for a friend's party. He enters the room to get the number for the cab company but sees that she's watching Die Hard 2 and they end up hanging out and hooking up. Unfortunately, it ends a little awkwardly...

  Characters

One of the reasons I love this little series is because of the duel narration. Both romantic leads tell the story, and we get to see two sides of the same thing. Grace, our main gal, is a fun character. She's smart and caring but she also knows how to stand up for herself. My favorite thing, though? She's a rambler. When she's nervous, especially in a flirtation situation, she starts oversharing stories from her youth or talking about Ted Bundy. Basically, it's awkward but perfect. As for Logan, he annoyed me at first. He's got the playa thing going and it isn't appealing. Once he started to open up his mind and heart, though, I was on board. 


Mature Audiences Only

Imma be upfront with you: I read these books specifically for the heat factor (insert 3 fire emojis here). If you are uncomfortable with sex scenes in your books (or you are <18 years old), don't even bother. While there is definitely more to the story, there's also plenty of crass language, explicit details, and descriptive moments that will make you blush if you're not prepared. 

Unfortunately, Kennedy is one of the writers who has her male protagonists call the women they are with "baby" or "gorgeous" and I hate that. It's kind of part of the romance genre, though, so I've learned to deal. Aside from that, my only complaint was that the hookup happened so early in the book, before I really got to know the characters. After I thought about it, though, they are college students and random hookups aren't exactly strange in that situation. A lot of people are put off my sexually explicit books because they expect 50 Shades, but these books have a lot more heart in them and there is no BDSM.

Overall

Elle Kennedy has me laughing, caring about the characters, and blushing from the heat and I think that's the perfect balance for a New Adult Romance.

I gave this book a 4/5 stars on Goodreads and I'm stickin' to it! 

Comments