Bookish Scene Recap - January

This year, I decided to join Word Revel and What Georgie Did on their Project 52: Bookish Scene. Both bloggers take gorgeous and innovative book photos. There are plenty of monthly challenges out there, and I do enjoy doing them, but they can get repetitive. This particular challenge is weekly (so there will be 52 photos total as opposed to 30 in one month) and very outside-the-box. Now that January is over, I thought I'd share my photos for each prompt last month!

Jan. 1st - Bucket List


For Bucket List, I took a rather daunting photo of the majority of my bookshelves. Aside from a few books peeking out, these are all TBR books. The goal of the year, essentially, is to tackle the books I already own as opposed to continuously buying books (who am I kidding, I'm still gonna buy books, but you get the point).

Jan. 8th - Depths of Winter


I will admit that I was nervous about this photo at first because we have had an oddly mild winter in Pennsylvania. In fact, we only just had our first big snow a couple of weeks ago and it left no trace behind. To improvise, I picked a frosty book cover (I'm obsessed with the Shatter Me book covers, so good, ugh) and placed it in a bare tree.
I'm pleased with the results. 

Jan. 15th - Wanderlust


For Wanderlust, I went with a road trip theme. There are so many places I'd like to visit around the world, but then there are so many places I haven't seen in my own country! 

 Jan. 22nd - Into the Night


Night photography is a big ol' pain IMHO. I really wasn't sure what to do with this, but life gave me this idea! I do most of my reading before bed (staying up way past my bedtime) and my boyfriend Brad always falls asleep before me. To be respectful, I use a clip-on book light. That way, I can read late into the night. Nailed it.

Jan. 29th - Off the Beaten Path

 I don't have a lot of "unbeaten paths" at my disposal, so I had to improvise here (and, if you check the hashtag on IG, you'll see that many others did too). I chose to photograph the crazy cover of 172 Hours on the Moon, a YA horror novel about a few teens who win a trip to the moon that doesn't go very well (haven't read it yet, but I'm excited to. And can we discuss that flare on the cover that looks like it could legit blind you? Well-done, book cover designer). What's more off the beaten path than outer space/the moon?
I DARE YOU TO DEFY ME. 


So there you have it! I'm very pleased with the first month. The best part of this challenge is that we only learn our tasks at the beginning of the month. I have no idea what the next 10 months will bring, but I can't wait to show you my February photos! 

As a reminder, I post these to my IG account @MLVReads. Check it out if you would like to see my weekly Bookish Scenes as well as other fun book photos! 

Comments