My First Book Signing!

On April 14th, I met the author Rainbow Rowell. IT.WAS.AWESOME.

 I am aware that I look like a mess...I was so nervous!

I don't know if it's just the area I live in or if I just haven't sought them out enough, but book signings and author meet & greets are not something I get to experience on a regular basis. Which sucks because it is such an awesome experience to meet someone who inspires you. 

I mean, don't get me wrong, I was terrified. I am already a nervous person, but I also went by myself (I met up with people there, though) and had no idea what to expect. 

I was lucky enough to attend a reception before the lecture that allowed me to wait in a smaller line to get a picture with Rainbow Rowell and get a few of my books signed (really wish I brought all of them!). Most people went to the lecture and then attended a signing. The line was HUGE for that. So I was super-duper lucky to go beforehand. Even if I hadn't been able to, though, the lecture alone was worth it.

Actually, the lecture was more of a Q&A. RR (I don't feel like typing her whole name out anymore) was asked questions about her books and her writing process and then the audience was allowed to go up to the microphones and ask her their own questions. 

It was so great.

The thing about RR is that she is so passionate about her work. She talks about the books and characters like they are her babies (which they kind of are), with care and consideration. She never once got annoyed with being asked questions she is probably answered many times. And she gives in-depth answers, too. She could probably go on forever about her books, which isn't annoying like it might sound.

A lot of people asked RR about writing, which I really loved. She spoke about her writing process, the struggles she has faced and how she beat them, and how she feels about tropes. The trope talk was probably my favorite part of the whole lecture. RR has a distinctive, quirky way of writing. Her characters come to life because they basically seem like people you know. She writes very conversational books (which I love). All of this sets her apart. And yet, the majority of her books follow a common love story trope (or, in the case of Carry On, a "chosen one" trope). She was 100% honest about using tropes. They work. She made a very important point about them, though: If you're using a trope to make bank or grab an audience without putting your own heart and soul into the work, it's a waste. RR might write a YA contemporary romance but it feels different because she wrote it. The characters stand out. The heart is there. The emotion is there. 

As someone who loves reading but has also always wanted to write, I found it to be very inspiring and motivating. RR clearly has fun with her work, but she also takes it seriously and it's just the perfect balance. 

Also, she is freaking adorable. Her curly hair, her cute shoes, her patterned dresses...she is like a big ray of sunshine and she is just as kind and welcoming!





Comments