Conquering the Used Book Sale!



I haven't met a used book sale I didn't like. I seek out local sales, keep them on the calendar, and hit them up as early as possible. As a book reader/buyer/lover, it just makes sense that I would love any kind of book sale! Used book sales are a special kind of awesome, though, because you often find hidden gems (maybe a rare edition or something that's been out of print for a while) and the prices are insane! Like, $2 hardcover, .50 cent paperback type of insane. I have had pretty much nothing but good experiences at used book sales and I thought I would share my tips and tricks that will help you rock the heck out of the next book sale you go to!

1. Check out your local library or newspapers for used book sales.

Used book sales are a common way for libraries to raise money. They are often held by charitable groups known as the Friends of the Library. Since the main goal is to raise money for the library, promotion is key. A lot of libraries will post about the sale (along with their other events) on their websites and Facebook pages. They often get a release published in the newspaper as well, and sometimes a particularly large one will make it to the nightly news. It takes at least a month or so to prepare and comb through donations, so a book sale isn't a last minute thing. I'd recommend checking the events of your county's libraries each month. Bigger used book sales, like the one our local newspaper recently held, are usually in big locations (like empty store fronts in the mall) and promoted in the same way.

2. Write a list of books you'd love to buy.

I'm a list-maker by nature, but I especially love making lists for book sales. It's a good way to make sure you don't miss an item that you'd like to have in your collection and might spot there. Go crazy. While brand new books are a rarity, some people do donate them after reading them. You never know what you might find. Keep an open mind. This is also helpful if you plan on bringing a buddy, because you can keep an eye out for each other's items!

3. Get there early!

I like to get there within 10 minutes before opening. Some are bigger and might have a large line. Most of the time, it's good just to get there when its opening so that you have the best chance of finding the goods you want before they are totally picked over. It might be a little crowded, but the people often move in a nice, orderly line and are respectful. 

4. Bring Your Own Bag(s)

I like to bring big reusable totes when I am going to a book sale. Obviously, it's just good for the environment, but it will also help you get the most out of the experience. As soon as you find a book, throw it in the bag. Your hands will be free to sift without dropping the inevitable stack you find. I like the totes they sell at TJ Maxx/Marshalls/HomeGoods because they are $1 and are super-sturdy. You can find these kinds of bags at grocery and craft stores as well. Canvas totes work, too. Just make sure you have enough room!



5. Take Now, Let Go Later

If you see something that you're not 100% about, I'd recommend grabbing it anyway. If you change your mind and decide not to take it, you can just put it back (sometimes they have designated carts or boxes for this purpose). If you don't take the item and end up changing your mind later, you might go back and find that it's not there...especially since most of the sales are simply organized by category (fiction, cookbooks, biography, etc.) and so the book can end up anywhere. Don't let yourself regret!

6. Peek Under the Table

...or in any kinds of boxes and crates that are surrounding the filled tables. These boxes hold all of the books they weren't able to fit on the tables or shelves. It might seem a bit crazy, but as long as you're not sitting in the aisle blocking traffic, this is usually encouraged. The boxes are often already open. You might look a bit silly with half of your body stuck in a big old crate, but the finds are worth it (and trust me, you won't be the only one looking!).



7.  If you miss the first day, don't worry!

At the past book sale I went to, I was unable to make it on the first day. Usually, I'd be worried. However, the last day can be even better. Yes, the stacks might have been weeded out, but it'll be easier to sift through. Even better? The already low prices tend to get cut in half. A lot of sales will run a deal where you can stuff a bag for a flat rate. Checking out the last day, even if you have made it to the first day, is a good idea no matter what!

8. Get Used to the Regulars

There are quite a few books that you can pretty much always find at a used book sale. I run into the same titles at each one I go to. Do not buy these books at full price. If you want to read any of the books I'm about to list, I'm pretty damn positive you will find them at your book sale.
  • The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold (This is the #1 book I see at all used book sales)
  • Bel Canto - Ann Patchett
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Steig Larsson
  • The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon
  • The Invention of Wings and/or The Secret Life of Bees - Sue Monk Kidd
  • The Art of Racing in the Rain  - Garth Stein
  • Anything written by Stephen King, James Patterson, Nora Roberts, Danielle Steel, etc.
  • Most classics (Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, etc.)
A lot of the books have had immense popularity or are pretty popular in the book club scene, which is why I think it is so easy to find them. And, of course, mass market paperbacks of the big authors always make it into the book sales (I've been to several where they actually separated the works by the popular authors from the rest of the fiction). 

9. Be Courteous!!!!!

This one is super-important. Remember, we are all there for the same reason: we want to buy a ton of books! These are your people, fellow readers old and young. If I overhear someone next to me say they are looking for a particular book and I spot it before they do, I will grab it for them (I love doing this, because they are so grateful and often willing to help you in return!). If you must reach over someone, apologize or warn the person. Don't hog the space. Keep your bag close to your body. Go with the flow of the line. Just be nice in general. It will make for a much happier, less stressful experience!


Above is my haul from the last book sale I went to. I got 11 books for a total of $7! I had been wanting Tell the Wolves I'm Home for years now, I was shocked to find a first edition indie copy of my beloved Colleen Hoover's Hopeless (I only have the eBook and it was .50!!!), and the first book I told my boyfriend to look out for was the first book I found (The Dive From Clausen's Pier). Needless to say, it was a successful run (and I thought I wasn't going to have any luck on the last day!). 

Used Book Sales can definitely be hit or miss. Sometimes you walk away with a book or two (or none) and other times you're leaving with enough books to fill up a whole new bookshelf. Regardless, they are so worth checking out, even if you aren't much of a book buyer. The money you spend is going towards a good cause and you can always donate the book back when the next sale comes around if you didn't like it!

Do you like going to used book sales?
Do you have any tips and tricks to maximize the experience?
 I'd love to hear your used book sale stories!



Comments