SUPER SPEED ROUND! (April and May 2017)


Hi, my name is Michal Lynn and I'm a blog slacker. I've been reading, don't get me wrong...but putting my thoughts into words is easier said than done. I'm going to do a round up of super quick and succinct reviews of the books I read over the last two months.


Let's do this!





Queens of Geek - Jen Wilde



A lot of potential here, with LGBT characters, an honest look at anxiety and depression, and some cool feminist messages. Unfortunately, I didn't care enough about the characters to "ship" their relationships. Great messages that a lot of young readers should hear, but ultimately forgettable for me.

The Upside of Unrequited - Becky Albertalli



I loved Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda, so I had high hopes (which isn't fair because they are different stories, but still). Unfortunately, they were not met. Lots of diversity, but I often felt like Albertalli put the characters in there just to be able to say there are diverse characters, and most of them were very flat. I will still read Albertalli's future books because she did a good job exploring how romantic relationships affect friend and family relationships and there were some sweet moments.

You Can't Touch My Hair - Phoebe Robinson



I am so glad I listened to the audiobook, because it was so funny! Robinson talks about being a black woman today. Empathy is built. Humor is shared. It's a fun time. I didn't love the fact that she sprinkled so many pop culture references in the book. There's a point where not every one of those jokes is going to hit the mark and start to feel like recycled material. 

Alex, Approximately - Jenn Bennett



A spin on "You've Got Mail", this book has fun summer contemporary written all over it. I enjoyed it, and I love Bennett's subtle sex-positive writing and her swoony characters. I have some problems with how it took some serious turns but never actually addressed just how intense they were (SPOILER COMPLAINT: Being robbed at gunpoint by a heroin addict...that's scary!). Other than that, cute and quick!

Mosquitoland - David Arnold



This book is quirky and interesting, but it's also really heavy and dark. I felt like that balance was strange and I wasn't completely sold. Arnold did a great job with Mim's narration...it never felt like a man trying too hard to be a teen girl. It felt authentic. I didn't love this, but I think David Arnold has potential and I look forward to reading Kids of Appetite.

Holding Up the Universe - Jennifer Niven



Told in alternating perspectives just like her debut YA novel All the Bright Places (which I really enjoyed), this was the story of a boy with face blindness and a girl formerly known as the "fattest teen in America" falling in love. Personally, I would've been happy with Libby being the sole narrator, because her anxiety and fear of death really resonated with me. 
I didn't care much for Jack (I had to look up his name because I forgot). 

Always and Forever, Lara Jean - Jenny Han



I didn't particularly love the first two books in this trilogy, so it's no surprise that I didn't care much for this one, either. To be honest, I think Lara Jean's character is quite childish and boring (I'd rather read about Kitty, who is actually younger but way cooler). Glad I finished the trilogy, but it's not one I feel compelled to recommend.

Literally - Lucy Keating



It appears that Keating's writing style is all about mixing the average YA contemporary with magical elements. With Dreamology, the characters fall for each other in their actual dreams first and then meet in real life. In Literally, the main character's story is being controlled/written by an author named Lucy Keating. It's an intriguing premise, as was Dreamology, but it seems like there's something missing from Keating's writing. Regardless, it's a fast read and I enjoyed the play on tropes.

The Names They Gave Us - Emery Lord



A YA contemporary about summer camp and a crisis of faith in the face of cancer, this book is actually surprisingly lighter than it sounds. It was somewhat similar to a book I read earlier this year, but a billion times better. Unfortunately, it seemed to end abruptly and some drama got added in that didn't really need to be IMO (at least not with some more exploration). Still, a great summer read!

The Unlikelies - Carrie Firestone



Interesting premise, lots of potential, not-so-great execution. It's another contemporary that stays light in lieu of violence and addiction which I, again, find SO strange. I loved the friend group and their goal to spread kindness in small ways. Not enough to stand out.

Comments